Saturday, July 31, 2010

Impromtattoo












As any of my fellow makeup artists in TV will attest, sometimes we don't always get time to prepare as thoroughly as we'd like. For example, I often get the shooting script the day before we begin filming the episode. The lack of lead-time means we often have to be creative and crafty. Before the first episode of the season, I have to load my equipment into my camper, set up the makeup room, make sure our supplies are stocked and...oh yeah, the script calls for specialty contact lenses and extensive tattoos. And I have one day to get it all ready because they all play first thing on the first day!
For the lenses, I take the actor to Studio Optics at Rockefeller Center. They can make anything from a standard colored contact to a full eyeball burst capillary lens. And luckily, they make it snappy.
The tattoos, however, were trickier. There are several ways to go about tattoos and ideally you have the time and budget to plan, design and test an SFX makeup like that. If they play frequently or if the tattoo is just a single image, a transfer or a stencil is the easiest, fastest way to go. Slap it on, spend a minute or two refining the image, and you're done! But, as I mentioned, that takes time to find/buy or design the transfer or stencil. While I keep a stash of tattoo transfers around for emergencies, the director specifically requested sleeve-style tats - and those have to be custom designed. Because I didn't have lead-time for that, my options were limited to free-hand drawing if I wanted it to look legit. So off to Google I went to find inspirational designs. Free-hand drawing is not my gift, however, so this is a much more difficult option for me. And since it played on two separate days, I had to do it twice! In the end, I used a combination of K.D. 151 Tattoo Pens and Skin Illustrator palettes - both alcohol based paints which don't smudge once they dry, and it seems to have turned out well. After the first day, I mapped the design of the tattoos on her arms on tracing paper, aligning it with certain freckles and moles so I had landmarks for the next time. But I was sweating bullets before each time I had to do it. So hopefully next time I'll have more of a chance to prepare. But where's the fun in that?

No comments:

Post a Comment