Saturday, July 31, 2010

Back to work: Full Time



Back to work!
So I'm back! SVU has started production back up for Season 12. I can't believe it. I started at this show as the temporary make-up assistant Season 7. It is such a gift in this business to have a job with a little steadiness but its also crazy to think that this'll be my 6th season!
So even though I have been doing these character makeups for years, as I've said before, its important not to get stuck in a rut. I am constantly changing products, techniques and strategies so that I don't become complacent and start to lose sight of what I am trying to achieve with their look.
That being said, here are the items that I have tried to switch up and have never been able to get away from when doing "Benson Makeup". Call them the Cher items in my makeup bag, because they will never go away:

YSL touche eclat #3 in combo with Cle du Peau concealer in ocher. If someone knows of a better concealer duo for olive skin, I'd like them to tell me. Its bright and radiant and covers anything. It is a combo established by my predecessors and is not to be forsaken.

La Mer Eye Concentrate. I once ran out of this for a day and tried to use something else with out admitting my delinquency. Oh no. Never again.

Benefit F.Y.Eye
. My big fear right now is that I think they have discontinued this. I ran out of my last jar and tried another eyeshadow primer. My eye makeups have to last for 14 hours people! Through rain, sleet and snow! (Or in this month's case: Heat!) It was immediately apparent that the new primer wasn't up to the task. LUCKILY Mariska had a jar stashed away and I raided her supply. I am in a panic about running out. F.Y.Eye, please don't leave me! I can't do it without you!

So those are my immortal beloveds. Nothing else will do.

4 comments:

  1. Please explain the concealer duo. Does one go on before the other? Do you mix them? Cle de Peau has great coverage, but I'm always looking for ways to make it last longer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard F.Y. Eye is discontinued too! I tried to buy it here in Ohio about a year ago and that is what they told me. I have been using Benefit Lemon-Aid as a substitute but the consistency is thinner and I think it's more oil based. You should call Benefit and buy what is left of their stock!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah at Leisure, the concealer duo works to fulfill different needs. the touche eclat from YSL is a highlighter. it doesnt really give much coverage - for example, you wouldn't use it to hide a zit. But I use it anywhere I want to brighten the face: along the sides of the nose and under the eyes, sometimes on the chin and in between the brows. Concealer has more coverage and can go anywhere on the face - to hide that zit or to cover the dark circles that have been brightened already by the highlighter. does this answer the question?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mimi, I have tried the Lemon-Aid but i'm not sure i'm a fan. Urban Decay has a new one out that I will try as soon as i can order it and report back. they are actually a really good brand for certain things. great eyeshadows.

    ReplyDelete