Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Back to work: Commercial Style


Two days last week I did a commercial with my friends Dina, a fellow makeup artist and my boss for those 2 days, and Sherry, a lovely and talented hair stylist. I hadn't woken up at 5am for work in 2 months! I also haven't worked on a commercial in about 4 years.
Commercials are a very different vibe from tv/film production. If movies sometimes feel like high school with money, commercials feel more like a corporate board meeting. I'm not sure why. What I like about the picture above is that all the guys are wearing the same exact thing! Like a corporate uniform of brim hats, plaid shirts and cargo shorts.
But it was fun to get back to doing faces! The look on this particular commercial is, as the director put it "Stealth Makeup". The makeup had to look so natural, it couldn't be detected. It can't just look good on camera, it had to look like nothing to the naked eye. So that was a fun challenge - do skin-perfecting makeup that looks like you didn't do anything.
After about an hour and a half of putting the actors through hair and makeup, the three of us from HMU (Hair & Makeup) sat in the sunshine on location in suburban Long Island for the next 10 hours. Occasionally we made sure that people's brows weren't sweaty and that they had enough sunscreen. (Sometimes, during the summer, that is what being a makeup artist becomes: professional sweat mopper/sunscreen applicator. It makes my dad feel very happy he spent a lot of money on my private liberal arts college degree.) It was rough, people. Rough and glamorous.

No comments:

Post a Comment